The content of the TX License to Carry class is prescribed by the state of Texas to ensure consistency across the program. Class runs 4-6 hours, with 1-2 hours at the range, depending on class size. Primary topics taught relate to TX Law & how they relate to handguns, use of force, handgun safety, non-violent dispute resolution, situational awareness, safe storage and the implications related to accessibility to a child. With the introduction of HB 910, specifics of "open carry" are discussed in detail to understand the requirements of the new laws.
For the proficiency portion of class, students will shoot B-27 targets, aiming center mass at distances of 3, 7 and 15 yards. As part of our service, firearms are free to use however ammunition must be purchased from us. Students have the option of bringing their own firearms as well. Please be certain they are in good operating order. A minimum of 50 rounds are needed (bring extra just in case), minimum .32 caliber. In order to pass the class, students must score 70% or higher on the proficiency portion. Suffice to say, students should be proficient at loading, unloading, shooting, and most importantly, able to handle firearms safely.
Curious about the proficiency test, click here for a video of the shooting practical.
VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ BELOW
Students using their own firearms MUST ensure they are in good working order! If your weapon does not fire due to lack of maintenance and/or lubrication, then this could cause you to have to retake the proficiency test. Extra firearms will be brought to the proficiency test however, if needed due to a malfunctioning firearm of their own, then full rental fee and ammo price applies. There is not enough time to address these issues during the proficiency testing.
Provided by SA FirEarms: (no additional charge)
- Notary Service (as needed)
- Passport size photo (as needed)
- Eye protection (feel free to bring your own) - We asked these be returned when done
- Fun & informative time
The TX DPS now requires fingerprints be completed electronically via MorphTrust USA, formerely L-1 Identity Solutions. Click here to schedule your appointment. It is preferrable to do this prior to class, however, not required.
- He/she is 21 or older.
- Legal resident of the state of TX
- Have not been convicted of a felony
- Not currently charged with a Class A or B misdemeanor or a felony
- 5 years has passed since conviction of a Class A or B misdemeanor
- Not a fugitive
- Not chemically dependent & capable of excercising sound judgment
- Can legally purchase a handgun
- Taxes are not delinquent or child support in arrears
- Not subject to a protecitve or restraining order
Although posted here, SA FirEarms assumes no responsibility for one's eligibility. If you have specific questions about your eligibility, please contact the TX DPS @ 512-424-7293 or email at email@example.com. Generally speaking, one is eligible if:
Range Dress Code:
- No open toe shoes
- No tank tops
- Ideal to wear hat with brim
- Avoid loose fitting clothing (due to flying hot brass)